Monday 17 December 2012

Subcultures, A Teddy Boy interview


The Interview

Cherry; Hi Johnno, how are you feeling today? Thanks for giving me the time to interview you.

Johnno; Hi Cherry, I’m feeling pretty good today. Nice to know that there are some people still interested in us teddy boys, it’s no problem at all.

C; shall we get started then, why did you become a teddy boy?

J; well being born in the 50’s and growing up it was just something that was floating around and a lot of people were part of like how you have today the cultures of indie, that was our indie. I just fitted into it I enjoyed the music, the style and the fact that it was cool.

C; it’s clear your accents not from London, was it different growing up as a teddy boy in another part of England?

J; (laughs after I point out his accent) good observation, no I’m from Yorkshire, teddy boys were quiet big up there so it wasn’t much different to London no. we just had to wait a little longer for the upgrade, like when the style developed the shoes into creepers. We had to wait for them.

C; Creepers, they’ve become very trendy again. How’d you feel about us kids stealing your look and forgetting about its history?

J; well I wouldn’t say your forgetting the history, I praise you for reviving them they are a pretty cool shoe.

C; I can’t help but notice, that you still dress as a teddy boy, why is that?

J; (laughs again) why wouldn’t I dress as a teddy boy, I can’t call myself a teddy boy walking down the road in jogging bottoms halfway down my legs, my bum hanging out. To me "being a teddy boy is more than just a "look", it’s a lifestyle where behaviour of a boy is like the following of a religious cult". It also helps as I’m in a RocknRoll band.

C; wow that’s amazing whats your band called?

J; Johnny and the moonlighters, I’m sure sue can find a picture for you.

C; that would be great, thanks you. One last question, how long does it take to do your hair? It’s incredible.

J; thank you, not as long as you think about 10 to 15 minutes, we may be teddy boys but we still aren’t as fussy as you women. (We both laugh)

C; Well thank you very much johnno, it’s been a pleasure to talk to you and nice to see you again.

J; that’s fine, glad I could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment